Sunday 12 February 2017

Post Skype..

Following our early evening Skype conversation I felt compelled to post about the teaching of young adults, their attitude towards class and their expectation levels.  I have taught students in the vocational sector for a number of years now and as teacher of ballet I am acutely aware that for the majority ballet is not their first love, nor their second or third come to that.  Motivation is often an issue, this when debated always raises several questions.  If a student is at a full time college, whether paying or funded and they want to pursue a career in dance/musical theatre they have made a commitment.  It is then reasonable to ask, why are they not motivated?  Some appear to have a poor work ethic, others just slow to engage and think for themselves, some students are just resistant to change.

In many instances it is easy to 'spoon feed' the student and this is something I certainly did when I first set out teaching.  As my professional practice gained ground and expanded into other avenues I became increasingly interested in how I could make myself a better teacher and gain better results  -this seems random but I will return to this point.

I think as teachers we place high expectations on ourselves and expect our learners to have those same high expectations but, how can they when they have not had the same experiences we have had?  Even if training and knowledge are similar to our own, their life experiences, often totally unrelated to dance and possibly education, will mean they are likely to have a whole different attitude and approach towards learning.  Neural networks and ways of processing will be different, as will their expectations.

After further reading of A Handbook of Reflective and Experiential Learning (Moon, 2004) I came across the term 'Cognitive dissonance'.

'The term cognitive dissonance has been used to describe the - often uncomfortable situations - in which new material of learning is in conflict with the learner's cognitive structure (Festinger, 1957), cited in Moon (2004: p19-20).

Sometimes I feel learners/students appear unwilling, resistant to feedback and even hostile, they can act as though they resent the teacher even being there.  I find it intriguing as to how much of this  can be attributed to having a bad day, therefore not being in the moment or mindset to even be receptive and contemplate learning ('Accommodating' (Piaget) their cognitive structure in relation to the Constructivist Theory Of Learning)?  Is it that the teaching style is different and alien, putting them outside of their comfort zone, subsequently putting up a barrier?  How much is due to their own self defensiveness/self protection from previously being a 'big fish in a small pond' and then suddenly becoming aware of the 'bigger picture'?  The latter has definitely been an issue with students I have taught, this then impacts on the expectation levels of the students. During tutorials individuals have often realised their lack of knowledge since embarking on full time training.  Their perception and/or self concept is then challenged and has to shift, often resulting in a drop of self esteem.  This involves both personal and social implications with knock on effects and attributes to a drop in motivation levels.  I have also found that students find it hard to measure achievement, rather than the acquisition of knowledge being seen as positive it can fuel a negative, downward spiral.  Generally students do not seem to measure achievement from their starting point and build upwards but from a backwards perspective of what they now know but perhaps have not mastered.

Linking back to my random earlier point of wanting to make myself a better teacher, I have for the last few years shifted my thoughts on to 'I want to make my students better learners', does that then make me a better teacher?  I don't know? ( I'd be lying if I said I didn't mind!)


My final reflection; it is really easy to let a group of students or just one or two individuals get you down.  'You only need one bad egg!'  However I do believe it is usually due to the above!! Knowing that however doesn't help us at the time and how we are feeling.  I will walk in a studio and see a grumpy face or defensive body language and assume it's because they are about to have a class with me 'even if my logical brain tries to tell me otherwise'. Occasionally it may be! More often than not they are having a bad day (not that it should be brought in to class).

I frequently (although getting better) go home thinking about students and worrying, reflecting on the whole class and everything or anything I have/could have said.  I can end up looking at all the negatives (and the negative students involved) and everyone else in the class vanishes.  I don't note who is positive, who was engaged and receptive.  I'm getting better at becoming more objective but this is another area of personal development and learning for me.  Who knows maybe it will become an AOL?

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and apologies this blog has become far longer than intended.

As an addendum I would like to add this - it's to do with the brain re-structuring that takes place between adolescence and adulthood (adolescence really now seems to creep up to around 23ish these days I think.) Dan Siegel. 'Pruning the brain'

2 comments:

  1. Hiya,

    I have only just discovered this, your first post.

    It instantly reminded me of when I taught BTec Dance and how I would leave every day feel disheartened by the attitudes of the learners.

    It made me think, at the time (and I am reminded of it now), about how much 'identity' and 'worth' play a part in our learning, and, indeed, our (my) teaching!

    I have been discovering, and am still discovering, how much my own sense of identity plays a part in my work. What I want is to inspire learning. I want my learners to 'want' to come to class; to explore, to engage, to grow, to learn. But how much of this is for my own sense of worth?

    For me, at that time, I had to fight my mind and heart to consider how to develop my learners' sense of worth, rather than allow them to dictate mine!

    Perhaps this is an AOL that I had not even considered until now!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth. This entirely resonates with me!! I have been through and am currently going through similar thoughts and feelings with classes that I teach, those that do not enjoy ballet and more particularly with me the structure of exam work! I teach in further education too and often question how and why learners are investing in a performing arts career yet have no or little interest in developing and progressing themselves outside of class. There appears to be a severe lack of motivation and real commitment to the discipline. They leave class, never practice or rehearse and therefore progression is very slow! I think your point of having different experiences through learning is very valid and I feel it also is demonstrated through a learners commitment and drive in class, the want, the passion that generally speaking across my classes I see very little of.
    I will leave classes questioning, how can I make this better? How can I improve my class? Why is that student not taking on board any corrections as though they're above the feedback and corrections they are receiving (big fish, small pond issue). I also enter class and assess the negative body language or perhaps small comments and think, oh no it's me! What have I said wrong? What can I do to 'win' this learner over and as you said very rarely notice those who are waiting, keen and patient. This gives me great food for thought and realisation to take note of those who essentially 'want' to be there and are passionate and to consider those learners who I leave class worrying about as maybe it's not me? Maybe I am not the one always in the wrong.
    I really feel I can relate to this post and think it is a brilliant way of putting things in to perspective in order to worry and fret less!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete